Oats, salt, beef bouillon or beef broth, and an egg. If you use salted beef broth, then you could cut the ingredients list even more and remove the additional salt.
And the instructions for making them are just as easy, making these dog treats simple enough to make on a regular basis or for giving to friends over the holidays for their pets or for celebrating.
You can use whatever cookie or biscuit cutter you have to make these, but I use this set of bone shaped cutters The mini cutter yields about 30 dog treats and the large yields about 8. It’s great to make a variety of sizes and shapes.
Here’s the recipe for my homemade dog treats. Be sure to let me know how your pooch loves
- 2 cups +1/2 half cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted low-fat beef broth or chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add 2 cups oats, salt, beef broth, and egg to a large mixing bowl. Combine well. Add remaining 1/2 cup of rolled oat and combine.
- Pour onto wax paper and knead dough for about 3 minutes. Let stand for about 3 minutes to begin to become firmer. Press to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut with cutter and place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for use or store in a ziptop bag in the freezer for later thawing and use.